36. Visit Every Country... Ukraine!

This year I had the most amazing opportunity to travel to Ukraine for my last placement as a physiotherapy student. I am so glad I applied!


I travelled with one other physio student, two speech pathology students and six occupational therapy students for four weeks in one of the most mysterious countries on the planet. Before applying, I had not much clue about Ukraine at all. The it seemed to appear everywhere I looked! For one they beat us in the medal tally for both olympics and paralypics. Before we left we had to go through all the orientation and preparation sessions and the things I learnt were; it is the HIV capital of the world (not an African country!), they have a death on the road every half hour, it is the money laundering capital of the world, the capital city wasn't very far from Chenobyl and they are also the people trafficing centre of the world. Great.



We arrived and I was absolutely blown away!! This country is incredible! Not once on our trip did I feel unsafe. I lost my luggage, lost my wallet and forgot most things to become known to the group as "the biggest loser". We worked in an orphanage in a small town in West Ukraine for 2.5 weeks, saw snow, ate at a restaurant in a real World War II bunker, went to the opera, tried to learn the language, saw the Kiev tower (see Thing to Do 85.), saw one of the biggest stautes in the world that no one seems to know about, watched traditional Ukrainian dancing (yes, the jumping and kicking one) and met some amazing people!

I highly recommend it to anyone for an adventure. Forget all the bad stuff and just live! You'll enjoy it.

Comments