2. Swim With... Shark

I did it!
(This one is actually posted with the correct date!)
For my 21st I was able to complete my scuba diving course, and then the second part was to go diving with the sharks at AQWA! A friend and I booked in to go together and invited all the joey and cub scouts along as an activity to watch (we are both scout leaders).

I got a little nervous leading up to it, but in hindsight I think a lot of the nerves were because there were going to be so many people I knew watching me dive! Something I had only done twice before. Don't stuff it up now, you have an impression to make!

In the end the scariest part wasn’t the sharks, it was actually the size of the ray that swooped over us about 0.5m from our heads! We had been told before hand that the ray weighed about 300kgs and had the potential to just sit on us if it felt like it. The sharks were not so scary. They had mouths that only let them swallow their food whole, so it didnt bother me so much. So long as I didn't annoy them, it would be fine. It was an amazing experience! And very weird being at eye level with people who were walking along-side you to watch.

Comments