9. Learn That Instrument

I remember always wanting to play the trumpet. I remember in year 5 seeing a bugle at Ali and Russel's house and blowing into it and actually being able to make a noise. The next year I changed schools and Mum and Dad let me take up trumpet lessons. I played all through school and did TEE music and was music captain in year 12. I cannot count the number of times I played "The Last Post", but it was a few.

One time playing "The Last Post" at Kings Park
I still remember my first performance in year 6. It was for the Junior school Eisteddfod in the chapel at Penrhos. I played Chariots of Fire and had to stop because I got so confused. I pointed to the piano player where I was going to go from and I remember hearing giggles.
Even though I didn't really enjoy performing, there was no point being good at something and not showing it off. My favourite performance was at the year 12 recital in 2008. All 7 of the year 12 music students had to perform solo. I used the senior school orchestra to back me and I played "Concerto in Eb Major (Grave and Allegro)" by Tommaso Albinoni.

My Bio said;
"Samantha's passion for music started at an early age, listening to big band, swing and jazz played by her 'Grumps'. She Began her music career in reverse with theory classes by Michael McCarthy and has continued with these classes for 8 years. Sam began lessons on the keyboard in year 6 and when she moved to Penrhos College took up the trumpet under the guidance of Rochelle Phipps. With a slight detour in Year 9 where Sam also had lessons on trombone, her instrument of choice has always been trumpet, although a need and want to play double bass 'festers' in the back of her mind.
Since entering Middle School, Sam has played at every ANZAC and Remembrance Day service, even standing alone at a memorial in Kings Park on some occasions. She apologises to her neighbours who have had to listen to it for the last 6 years. Sam has performed with the Penrhos/ Wesley Wind Orchestra since Year 8 and also performed with the Penrhos Stage Band, Senior Orchestra and the School Production Orchestra for '42nd Street' and 'South Pacific' this year. The highlights of her years at Penrhos include the music camps at New Norcia, performing in 'Boy from Oz' with Hugh Jackman, and of course travelling to perform in Llangollen. Sam wants to thank her family for putting up with all her noise-making over the years."

Me and my fellow co-captain after our final eisteddfod

Comments